onsdag den 12. september 2012

Day 43. Arches Park

We went trough some amazing canyon on the way to Arches Park. In the first part of it we drove up on the rim, but later we got down in the bottom along with the river. It was actually but planned that way, but the gps somehow got us out on some really small roads and for some time we thought it was a dead end, but suddenly there came a car going in the opposite direction and the driver could confirm that we where on the right track. It was insanely beautiful and a little bit scary. Perfect. :-)

We had spend so much time on small detours and stops for taking pictures that we got to arches to late. When we got to the main attraction of the park, Delicate Arch - the sun had just set. Big bummer.

We had tried to split up - Anders going to the arch and Oil and me going to a distant viewpoint - trying to get as many pictures in the remaining light. The plan was then for me to meet with Anders at the arch itself a little later. So Anders is at the arch - and I start hiking out to meet him there. But on the way to the arch it starts getting really dark and I realize I won't be able to find my way back in the dark if I continue. On the other hand, Anders is waiting for me at the arch. Why to do - go back and leave him there or continue and get lost in a very dangerous mountain area with unknown wildlife? I call for him as loud as I can and luckily Anders was on his way back. We are both happy to see each other and start trying to find the way back. There is just a little light (no moonlight - only stars) so its possible to glimpse contours a few meters ahead. Luckily we both have phones with small flashlights in them - a big help, and we do find - slowly - our way back to the car through the rocks. Phew.

Ingen kommentarer: